Having Dinner with Students at UWRF in Taipei

2008.08.20

Robyne is taking 10 students from UWRF to SHU in Taiwan to teach Taiwanese students English. Robyne is one of the greatest professor that I've known. He is so passionate! His body is really "well-developed".....or I should just put it bluntly, he is quite old. But every time I see him, he shows me his great passion. When I looked into his eyes and talked to him, I would never know that he is that old.

We went to eat PHQ, which is a Vietnamese noodles. I fell in love with that when I was in Minnesota. Isn't that funny? I fell in love with Asian food when I was in the States and I am an Asian. We talked a lot. He always gives me a lot of advices in academics or either in life. He is like a mentor to me.

I found out a very interesting fact that he was in the US army before during the war. That was compulsory. He couldn't say no. It is kind like where I am now. But just there is no war going on in Taiwan, which is a good thing. But he didn't really go to the jungle and shoot people. Or I should say he didn't get the chance before the war ends. That is a good thing. I would never wanna see him injured.

He told me a very interesting fact of my when we were talking about my USP, unique selling point. He said I am "dangerous" at English. He said "Jeff, you are really good at English. You are on a top of a mountain, where is a flat square. You can see a lot of views from there. But it is hard for you to climb higher. Because you don't need to climber higher unless you make yourself. You are able to talk to an American without any problem. But if you wanna improve yourself in English. You should listen to more complex shows, read more complex articles. Or you will stay where you are."

I am surprised to hear that. I never really thought about that. I was stunned. That is very true. I might make mistakes at using English sometime. But I can make most of the daily conversation with no problems. But when it comes to doing business, I need higher ability to comprehend complex business English.

Let's see....... I will need to start my intense complex articles reading soon.....when I am done with my army thing......

When Spring ends, I am free!!! There are ......222 days left.......

Comments

Popular Posts