Changing from 700x32c to 700x28c

I have been using 700x32c tires since I got my first road bike - Trek Domane ALR Disc 2018 which I purchased about two years ago. I had been using it for commuting until the first lockdown due to coronavirus. 


The bike staff recommended this bike to me because it has a more relaxing geometry and wider tires. I do find commuting with a 700x32c tire very stable and comfortable even for a road bike newbie like me. However, I have been feeling the bike getting "heavier" in windy conditions and wonder if this may be improved by switching to a thinner tyre. 


I wanted to experiment with thinner tyres and went on on a hunt for them. Then I come across with a video of Katie Kookaburra, a YouTuber who I follow and learn a lot from. She recommended Michelin's tires. (Unfortunately, I cannot find the video now.) So I quickly bought a pair. 

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance


Last Saturday, I finally had the opportunity to change the tires to a 700×28C, Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. The first feeling is that it was much lighter! Surprisingly,I do not think it was only the few grams difference make me feel the ride was lighter but also the decreased air resistance due to thinner tyres. It was very noticeable even for a super road bike newbie like me.


To my suprise, I didn’t feel the bike was unstable as I had previously assumed thinner tires would make a ride less stable. However, I do think they do not handle obstacles on the road as good as wider tires would. I know that Michelin Pro 4 Endurance wasn’t designed to run on a gravel road. Neither was Continental GatorHardshell (700x32c), which I had been using for 2 years. I had no problem riding on gravel roads with my Continental GatorHardshell (700x32c) tires. I fell from my bike when entering a gravel section of the road in the first ride with Michelin Pro 4 Endurance (700x28c) tyres. It would have not happened if I was with the Continental GatorHardshell (700x32c) tyres.


I am still happy with Michelin Pro 4 Endurance (700x28c) tyres and will continue using them because 

  • they make my rides feel lighter

  • they handle windy conditions better

I just have to be much more careful when riding on roads that are note well paved.


Comments

Popular Posts