Why we get fat and what to do about it? Part II


Book  Review Reflections on Why We Get Fat and What to Do about It.

<!!Plus Experiment Experience Sharing!!>

Without a doubt, it is extremely difficult to change a diet for everyone. (If not, obese might be a lot easier to solve.) I am a chocoholic. I love sweets and coke. By the way, the company I work for provides free cokes and snacks to employees. This is making my diet a lot more challenging. Saying no to free delicious sweets was almost impossible to me at first. I tried very very hard to work my way around to control my desire to eat sweets.

So I decided to convince myself by talking to myself to believe that this is a game,  only a game. This is a experiment game that only lasts for a month.

In my one-month experiment, I have lost 3 KG. My waist line dropped by 3 cm. This is amazing.

It was tough during the process, but I found 2 helpful tips that will helped me went throught this experiment. I do believe it might help you keep up on your diet.

1. Seeing the result everyday!


[Withings]

I have been tracking my weight every day with Withings*.

Nothing is more satisfying to see my body weight actually dropping down day by day. Standing on the scale every morning and night has become a habit to me.

*Withings: http://www.withings.com/ which I used to linked with my running logs. It has a very nice interface and user-friendly design.

Fun fact: I weighed myself twice again, one in the morning, one before I went to bed. I realize sleeping for 5~6 hours a night will take 500 grams of my body weight, averagely speaking. How much will it take for you?






[JEFIT]








I measure my body sizes once a week and store the data at JEFIT*.  Logging body stats could be a lot of work if you do it everyday. I only do it once a week, sometimes in 2 weeks.

Fun fact: I found out this diet will help me to build muscle as well. The body parts that I work out more grow bigger!


JEFIT: http://www.jefit.com/ which works as my personal weight lifting coach app on my iPhone. I also recorded my body size with it.





2. Don't push yourself too hard.
Self-control is like running. You can't run for too far without taking any breaks.

I follow the "no sugar, no starches" diet on weekdays and eat whatever I want on weekends. But this is just me. You should try it out and find the best balance point for yourself.


I also started enjoying cooking when I started this diet. It was simply because this diet isn't my girlfriend's style, I decided do it myself.

At first, I started frying beacons and eggs. Now I can make steamed veggie and meat, and Chinese stir fry. These dishes are very easy to make and they taste very good.

[Pic: fried beacon and egg]










I started here..........










[Pic: Chinese Stir Fry]











To here...........







then here........


















and here...this is one of my favorite dish - Chicken breast steak



















Please feel free to share your experience if you are trying this diet or other diets!

Remarks: Gary Taubes, the author of Why We Get Fat and What to Do about It, suggested everyone reacts differently to carbohydrates. It is recommended to consult with your doctor when following this diet.

Comments

Popular Posts